Your FlexContentHolder (or one of them) should be the outermost container in
your Flash FLA. This container does you no good in Flash, because it extends
ContainerMovieClip to give your MC asset class members necessary for it to
interact as a Flex component in a Flex application. But I don't see why you
should have trouble tweening it.

Perhaps I am not understanding your architecture, but it sounds like you're
trying to use the Flex Component Kit the opposite direction in which it was
intended, i.e. Flash-to-Flex, when you seem to be using for a Flex-to-Flash
integration. The Flex Component Kit lets you wrap a MovieClip wither in a flex
container or a flex component class, so your Flash assets can be used in Flex.
It's not really intended for porting Flex components into Flash.

I am surprised you are not getting compiler errors in Flash. Unless you
included
a few Flex-built SWCs (or hacked you way into referencing the Flex SDK from
Flash), Flex component classes such as the mx.controls.List component would not
be included in the FLA, which is why you may be having difficulty tweening and
masking them.

If you want to bring in a Flex component into Flash, you don't need the Flex
Component Kit. What you need to do is compile a SWC library from Flex, and
reference that SWC from Flash. There are various ways to do this.

If you're bringing functionality from Flash into Flex, you don't need a Flex
component. Just bundle up your Flash animation in a UIMovieClip or a
ContainerMovieClip as per the tuts, and then use that in a custom Flex
component.

Each has its use-cases. If you need to be tweening a Flex UI component, do it
in
Flex, not Flash, no matter how comfortable you are with the Flash timeline.
Tools for the job.

Joseph Balderson, Flash Platform Developer | http://joeflash.ca