I have an interesting problem regarding event.target in Flex
2/ActionScript 3.0. I am using the Flex Grocer app in order to try
something out. I am attaching listeners to all the click events and
then printing out event.target to keep track of my events and where
we clicked, nothing revolutionary here very easy stuff. Once I get
the paths I would like to run code that will execute my steps and
play the clicks back based on the event.target information that I got
and I was able to do that except when we have popups. Here is the
problem:

When I execute a click on a button with event.target =
DataEntry0._UpdateDeleteProd1.Form10.FormItem102.HBox103.Button104
A poupup appears and then I click on the close button on that popup
with event.target=
ConfirmScreen464.UIComponent494.Button498

COUPLE OF PROBLEMS HERE:
1)      I don't have the path to the root (DataEntry0) even though I
use the standard event.target.
2)      This is even a bigger problem, the DOM path
(ConfirmScreen464.UIComponent494.Button498) is dynamically generated
(the numbers are dynamically generated) so when I use that path that
I got during the time I was monitoring the app, when I use my code to
play the events that very same target does not correspond to the
popup that the fist event caused.

I tried using IDs but in Flex I have not found anything like
document.getElementById() that is available in JavaScript. Any help
on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. I looked at the automation library that Flex has (and Mercury
QTP uses) but that will not work for me.