When you embed a SWF, it gets wrapped in a MovieClipLoaderAsset and is
not the MovieClip itself.

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Merrill, Jason
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:23 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] .swf displays fine, but MovieClip methods fail

I'm displaying some sprites inside a Flex 3 container with Actionscript.
So far on this project, the sprites I have been showing have been
visually drawn on the screen either by embedding an image or by drawing
with sprite.graphics methods. Now, I'm trying to embed a .swf, and it
works (it displays and plays), but MovieClip method actions attempting
to control the embedded .swf fail.

My first thought was I published as AM1 on accident, but the .swf is
AVM2 - Flash CS3 published as Player 9 and Actionscript 3.  The .swf
contains an animation on it's root, no child clips.  See the comments in
the code below (this is a simplified version of the class, I stripped
out everything I thought was irrelevant to my question).  Does it have
to do with a MovieClip being a child to a Sprite?  If so, why?  If not,
what's the issue with the code below?

package com.venice.view.network.atom
{
        import flash.display.MovieClip;
        import flash.display.Sprite;

        public class AtomView extends Sprite
        {
                private var _menu:MovieClip;

                [Embed(source = "/media/buttons/atomMenu.swf")]
                [Bindable]
                private var _menuSource:Class;

                public function AtomView()
                {
                        createSprites();
                }

                private function createSprites():void
                {
                        //this works fine, the menu.swf appears:
                        _menu = new _menuSource() as MovieClip;
                        addChild(_menu);

                        //however, the following MovieClip actions don't
work.
                        //For example, (when uncommented), the following
actions
                        //have no effect on the root timeline:
                        //
                        //_menu.stop();
                        //
                                    //or if I put a stop action on the
.swf timeline, these don't work either:
                        //_menu.nextFrame();
                        //or
                        //_menu.play();
                        //
                        //why? It's a Flash 9/Actionscript 3.0 .swf
created with Flash CS3.

Thanks for any help.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Enterprise Technology & Global Risk L&LD
Instructional Technology & Media

Join the Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community
<blocked::http://sharepoint.bankofamerica.com/sites/tlc/flash/default.as
px>

Are you a Bank of America associate interested in innovative learning
ideas and technologies?
Check out our internal  GT&O Innovative Learning Blog
<blocked::http://sharepoint.bankofamerica.com/sites/ddc/rd/blog/default.
aspx>  & subscribe
<blocked::http://sharepoint.bankofamerica.com/sites/ddc/rd/blog/_layouts
/SubNew.aspx?List=\%7b41BD3FC9-BB07-4763-B3AB-A6C7C99C5B8D\%7d&Source=ht
tp://sharepoint.bankofamerica.com/sites/ddc/rd/blog/Lists/Posts/Archive.
aspx> .