You are correct that there are a lot of factors, but if your UI is
Flex, then ColdFusion is certainly a better starting point. Both Flex
and CF are made by the same company and ColdFusion 8 includes Flex and
LCDS integration without needing to install anything else. Most of the
books and examples you will see on Flex use Java or ColdFusion as the
server programming languages.

If your background is a novice, then ColdFusion is a great choice
since it is one of the easiest programming languages to learn. PHP is
also a great choice for a novice and is also easy to learn. If you are
a novice without OOP training, then Flex will be harder to learn than
either ColdFusion or PHP.

If you are going to start creating business applications then I would
certainly research this issue thoroughly before making a decision
because you cannot easily switch down the road. If this is important
to your business, you might want to hire an experienced consultant to
help guide your decision so you don't make an expensive mistake.

Good luck,
Mike Chabot