Sorry Doug i could be wrong about the [Event] metatag in datagrid
column. Your code is different to the example from the docs, might
be worth re-checking your implementation.

another idea on how to avoid using [Event] metatag is, try to add
the click event for your datagridcolumn during the initialize event
of your datagrid

eg
<mx:DataGrid initialize="doInitialize()">

function doIntialize()
{
  //loop thru columns
  for(var i=0;i<columns.length-1;i++)
  {
    if(columns[i].className = "DataGridLinkColumn")
    {
        columns[i]["startUp"]; // see below
        //or columns[i].addEventListener("click", columns[i]);

have a function called startUp() in your DataGridLinkColumn as
follows

function startUp()
{
  this.addEventListener("click", this);

this might not work. just an idea

regards
bod

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "mrmcfeely8"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Comments inline...
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "bhaq1972" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > your original idea of having a [Event] metatag didnt work
because
> > DatagridColumn isn't extending from UIObject (i think).
>
> Good point... didn't think of that.  But can't *any* object emit
> events and use the [Event] metadata tag if it's initialized with
> mx.events.EventDispatcher (as shown in the Flex docs...
> http://tinyurl.com/c7laq)?
>
> > in the click event of your cellrenderer you can add an event
> > listener and dispatch it to the parentdocument (which is
probabaly
> > where you want your click event to be handled
>
> I think this is the same thing Ted suggested... I'll give it a try,
> though I'd still wish it would work on the DataGridColumn.
Thanks, bod.