> I need to draw a shape with a hole, and need to apply it as a mask to
> an image. Im doing this with Flex. The "hole" in the mask is
> dynamically created, thats why Im not using flash to draw a movieclip
> as my mask.

I guess the follow-up you posted answers your question, but wanted to
throw in this "secret" that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere
(that I've seen):

If you draw multiple shapes as part of a single fill operation
(multiple shapes between a beginFill and endFill) the shapes
intersect. This is useful, for example, if you need to create a box
with a circle cut out of it:

graphics.beginFill(0xffffff);
graphics.drawRect(0, 0, width, height);
graphics.drawCircle(width / 2, height / 2, Math.min(width, height) / 4);
graphics.endFill();

Troy.