you are talking about the taskbar window right?  if you want to make that
blink like when a prog needs your attention, I'm afraid I don't think you
can do that.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the only way you can do that is by throwing
up a javascript alert or something when new messages come in but I don't
think that helps you.  I would also be quite interested in this if there is
a way.

I actually haven't used AIR since it was called Apollo and I'm totally just
BS'ing here, but can you create a mini air app to run in the system tray
that communicates with your flex app maybe?  A message comes in thru Flash,
gets sent to AIR - then u can show a message in the sys tray to let the user
know they have new messages.... ?  Sounds simple enough anyway (except for
that whole install process for all the users :)

hth,
d.