Joost Nuijten wrote:

> We created an empty mxml-template (containing only a mx:application-tag) and
>the filesize was still 263Kb. Does anybody have an idea how to reduce the
>filesize?

If you're site is comprised of multiple .swf files, consider using
Shared Libraries.  There's an article explaining the usage and
implications here: http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flex/articles/rsl.html

Essentially, a Shared Library allows you to "factor out" common
code/assets (images) in multiple .swf files.  The download size of the
RSL will be large (usually 100K+ if you include any of the framework),
but the positive is that the download will only need to occur one time.

I have a Flex application that loads pieces of the application as needed
on demand.  Right now the separate pieces are a 15-50K download each,
which makes loading a piece of the app pretty fast.  The core of the app
is split into multiple shared libraries that get loaded initially - so
there's a big initial download hit to get the SL loaded and cached, but
as the app runs the loading times are much faster as a result.

It's all about "perceived performance"  :-)  Also, I'm not sure how much
the "website usability rules" apply to RIAs.  You'll find that
application download size and website download size are two different
things...  in my experience people will wait longer for an App that they
want to use than for a website they're just browsing.

-d