If I open all the nodes in the tree, i.e. make them visible though
and then try to get a handle to one of the custom item renderers I'm
getting that it is null, i.e. itemRenderer in code below is always
null.

for each (var model:String in _carModels)
{
  for each (var item:XML in dp..node)
  {
    if ([EMAIL PROTECTED] == model)
    {
      trace("model="+model);
      trace("[EMAIL PROTECTED]"[EMAIL PROTECTED]);
      var itemRenderer:CheckTreeRenderer = tree.itemToItemRenderer
(item) as CheckTreeRenderer;
      trace("itemRenderer="+itemRenderer);
      itemRenderer.select();