On Sep 18, 2008, at 2:43 AM, timgerr wrote:

2. Is AMFPHP a good tool to communicate to my backed? How hard is it
to learn? What are the benefits of using it?

I used AMFPHP for a project and was nice. It's easy to install, the service browser is not as good as WebOrb, but good enough. WebOrb is a good alternative as well. Also try using a PHP service application capture like Charles. There is nothing to 'learn'. Drag and drop the files onto your server, and whenever you create a Remote Object component in Flex, just point the destination to the gateway.php file.

Other notes:

you'll need to use a services-config.xml file
crossdomain.xml

There's documentation on all this online.

3. What is better for future Flex/Air development? I am creating a
web app that a user has to authenticate to, session information has to
be kept and that sort of stuff

They are pretty much the same. One lives in a browse and one lives on you local computer.

Alan