I just read the documentation for Flex, "The Event Flow":

"Flash Player or AIR dispatches event objects whenever an event
occurs. If the event target is not on the display list, Flash Player
or AIR dispatches the event object directly to the event target. For
example, Flash Player dispatches the progress event object directly to
a URLStream object. If the event target is on the display list,
however, Flash Player dispatches the event object into the display
list, and the event object travels through the display list to the
event target."

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=16_Event_handling_4.html

It looks to me like, in the case in which they mention above, "Flash
Player" or "AIR" becomes the source who dispatches the event object
and the event target is actually the one that "listens" to the event.
Does this "target" term then sound something that makes more sense to
lower level programming (such as Flash Player engineers?)? From an API
user's point of view, an event source is only "source" anyways...

Thanks.