Matthew,
The Tree component doesn't suck that bad, try a different title.

I'll answer your question though, openItems uses references(unique id's),
it's not majik man. You have to understand instance references, then you can
say the Tree doesn't suck, I just didn't understand it.

This is the key, right here;

_openItems[itemToUID(item)] = item;

What this means is, if you do not supply the items with the same
instance(unique), this property will never work.

Sounds like you need to do a little leg work and save the state of your tree
before you set the dataProvider, then create a new openItems Array with the
current instances that ARE IN the tree.

What kind of objects are held in your dataProvider? ... Object, or a custom
model class?

Mike

--
Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Teoti Graphix Blog
http://www.blog.teotigraphix.com

You can find more by solving the problem then by 'asking the question'.