One correction on my part.
It's IUIComponent that is important. IFlexDisplayObject is for skins so you
can call move(), setActualSize() and get a measuredWidth and measuredHeight
from them. The allows for the polymorphic behavior when laying out skins and
components. Your code can see the same thing and does not have to
differentiate between a component or skin (Shape).

The IFlexDisplayObject gives an impression of the core DisplayObject as
well.

The ILayoutManagerClient interface allows the layoutManager to use nesting
and call validation on the components in the queue.

Mike