From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of JesterXL
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 11:04 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] How much do you charge for Flex development?

Busy/Bad Mood = $60/hour
I like you/Not Busy/Good Mood = $30/hour

As far as salary, I'd think because of your server background, 70-90 is fair

& market rate (per various job sites & the USA government department of
commerce salary reports) depending on company size, but depends on the
direction they are going with Flex.

For example, the reason I'm asked to do contract Flex by clients (beyond the

fact there aren't many Flex contractors) is because I know how to get the
GUI to work.  The reverse holds true in having a good server-side developer
on the team doing Flex because he/she knows the impact on the backend and
can offer valuable insight into making the application work better, leaving
the GUI/wireframe/frontend visual details up to someone like me.

...of course, the same logic applies to my Flash projects, hehe.
Flex/Flash, here's my typical scenario:

"Jesse, can you do Flex contract?"

"No, but these people might have time." :: forwards list of contractors ::

*alternate universe where Jesse has time for more than 1 contract job a
year*

"Sure, but I'm really busy right now, what are the details of the project?"

:: gets details / specs / whatever wireframes are available, if any ::

"Ok, swag time estimate is X hours @ 60 an hour, my rate, thus that'll cost
you $XX for my services."

"Geez, we don't have the budget for that...."

:: negotiations ::

"Ok, I've adjusted the scope of what I can do, rate, and hours based on our
discussions.  We agree to $XX for the project since that fits nicely in your

budget.  Let's knock this shiz out of the park!"

So, I say a rate, but rarely ever get it because of budgetting, which is
understandable and I'll adjust what I can do and what I charge accordingly,
if at all possible.  Now, as far as salary, I'd treat it similiarly to any
New Media + Front-end JSP Development type job, and you'd have an accurate
assessment of salary range.  Naturally, all the other rules of location,
budget, company size, time, etc. all factor in which is beyond the scope of
this email; there are plenty of resources online both professional,
independent, and governement which can help you make a more educated
inference based on the numbers I gave above.