Hm, actually i don't quite get the problem, i think.

States should be used in my opinion to really abstract view-states. The state
of the
application should be stored in a domain model.

If u have buttons - just register listeners for the interaction and let a
controller decide
what to to depending on the view state. As i understand your problem it's like
you have
different states, which not only refer to view states but als to states in
terms of
functionality which is bound directly to a statewhich i think leads to too much
logic in view
components...

Or i just didn't get your intention right...

Best regards