> Should it not put the cursor into the textArea and have the 10th
> through 20th characters selected?

Even if you select a range of text with the mouse you will not see the
blinking insertion cursor in the textarea.

What matters is that your app has focus so that it can receive keyboard
actions.

So the trick is to come-up with some trivial task for the user to perform
that forces them to click.

Regards,

-Keith
http://keithreinfeld.home.comcast.net