From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of brucewhealton
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 4:46 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Flex htmlText component

Hello all,
I thought I could use the Accordion panel to nicely layout a
collection of poems. The problem is getting the poetry to layout on
the page right. I sure could use some tips on this. I have an
Accordion wrapped in a Panel container. That's not the issue. The
issue is the actual text block that holds the text of the poems.
I have in mind either:
<mx:Text>
<mx:text>
Line 1,
Line 2...
</mx:text>
</mx:Text>
or
<mx:Text>
<mx:htmlText>
<![CDATA[
Line 1,
Line 2...
...]]>
</mx:htmlText>
</mx:Text>
Neither of these really works so well. When you use the CDATA block,
well, it counts every space, whereas regular html would ignore the
extra spaces. Theoretically, this is doable but it would be very
sloppy. I'd have to run it all together like this:
Even that doesn't work because as soon as you hit the return key, that
throws off the formatting and layout.

Using the first option makes it impossible to have any control over
how the lines break. Using the regular text tag runs everything
together as a paragraph.

So, far, as I thought of this, it seems that the only option is to put
the text of the poem into an image. So, then I'd have inside each
accordion panel an image or two images that contain the text of the
poems (two images if I wanted two columns for the display of the poem.

Can anyone think of anything else or any other ideas for this? I'm
open to other suggestions for laying out a poem in Flex.
I saw this FlexBook that gave me this idea. The FlexBook would take
some time to accomplish so I thought I'd try something easier first as
I'm still new and want to add to my skills and accomplishments in
Flex. In that FlexBook, it seems that every page is an image. So,
maybe that is how you have to layout pages of text when you want it to
look just so.

I do welcome suggestions as to how I might approach this.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Whealton