I've also heard take your yearly salary, say $100k. Determine the
hourly rate: $100k / 2000, which results in an hourly rate of  $50.
Now triple that to find your contracted rate. 33.3% for salary and
healthcare (same amount taken home), 33.3% for capital (office space,
computers, software, car) and 33.3% for taxes (you are responsible for
more as an independent contractor).

So, if you were making $100k and decide to contract, you should charge
$150 per hour to enjoy the same standard of living.

On Nov 4, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Tracy Spratt wrote:

> And understand, this is an independent contractor rate for billable
> hours.
>

> One rule-of-thumb I have heard is that an independent hourly rate
> should be one thousandth of what the annual salary would be for the
> same level of developer.
>

> For example if an annual salary is 100K per year, then the hourly
> rate should be $100 per hour.  I am sure 100K is not an unusual
> salary for an experienced developer in SF.
>

> Tracy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: