displayObjectA can by masked by displayObjectB with the assignment

displayObjectA.mask = displayObjectB;

This will cause only the portions of displayObjectA that are "under"
displayObjectB to show through. Also, you won't actually see any of
displayObjectB.

There is an example in the docs that demonstrate this. It shouldn't be
difficult to apply a similar solution to your problem.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/flash/display/DisplayObject.html#mask

For your particular problem can control the width of the masked
DisplayObject with your slider.