Yes, that wording does make a difference.  You can look into using a
sortCompare function.  Or, you can hack it by adding the item to the
collection, but in addition add an additional property to all of the
items in the collection, like sortIndex; that will be used to sort the
reset item at the top and then the regular items.  Assign 0 to "Select
All' and 1 to all of the regular items.  Then add another sort field to
the collecton's sort so it sorts the sortIndex first and then the title:

var sort:Sort = new Sort();
sort.fields = [];
sort.fields.push(new SortField("sortIndex", true, false, true));
sort.fields.push(new SortField("title",true));
nameCollection.sort = sort;
nameCollection.refresh();
//
// add new item to the top
//
var sItem:Object = new Object;
sItem = {sortIndex:0, title:"Select One"};
nameCollection.addItemAt(sItem,0);

// you'll have to change the other objects in the collection to have the
sortIndex property and set them all to 1.

-TH