Instead of using createTab(classRef, instanceName, label, icon) use
createChildWithStyles(classRef, instanceName, initObj)

ie:

customCreateTab(classRef:Function, instanceName:String, label:String,
icon:String, customParam:String):Void {

var initObj = new Object();
if(label != undefined) {
initObj.label = label;
}
if(icon != undefined) {
initObj.icon = icon;
}

if(customParm != undefined) {
initObj.customParam = customParam;
}

yourPathToTabNavigator.createChildWithStyles(classRef, instanceName, initObj);

}

I recommend you keep this in a method wrapper to safe guard yourself
down the track in the event createChildWithStyles() is deleted from
Flex 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 etc..  as  your now off the reservation so to
speak.

On 7/22/05, Cliff Meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a class that dynamically adds several components to a
> TabNavigator via AS.  I need to pass some data into these components.
> If they were static (ie, created with MXML) I'd just add an attribute
> and so some databinding.  How can I accomplish the same thing with AS?
>  There doesn't seem to be a way to assign an ID to a component when
> creating it so I'm not sure what the best way to access the component
> is using AS.  Thanks a lot!
>

> -Cliff

Regards,
Scott Barnes