I am using HTTPService to do authentication and also to retrieve the data.
Following is the part of the code..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.macromedia.com/2003/mxml";
xmlns="*" height="661" autoLayout="false" marginTop="0" marginLeft="0"
marginRight="0" marginBottom="0">

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
//Call getuser, which calls webauth verify to check the current user
function auth() {
getuser.send({callap:mx.core.Application.application._url, logout:
"http://xxx.xxx"});
}

function auth_check() {
    //if the current user is not authenticated by webauth status will equal fail
    if (getuser.result.auth.status == "fail") {
         //you should now redirect the user to the login page
          getURL(getuser.result.auth.redirect, "_self");
   }
  else{
         getData();

function getData(){
    var myID = getuser.result.auth.asurite;
    lookup.send({myid: myID, user: "xxx", passwd: "xxxxx"});
    popCustomerForm_MyID();
}

function popCustomerForm_MyID(customerData){
   // Populate the fields in customerpanel
    customerinfostack.selectedChild = customerpanel;
    custfname.text = customerData.values.givenname;
    custlname.text = customerData.values.sn;
    custemail.text = customerData.values.mail;
    custphone.text = customerData.values.phonenumber;
    custdept.text = customerData.values.college;
    custcollege.text = customerData.values.department;
    contfname.text = customerData.values.givenname;
    contlname.text = customerData.values.sn;
    contemail.text = customerData.values.mail;
    contphone.text = customerData.values.phonenumber;
}
]]>
 </mx:Script>

<mx:HTTPService id="getuser" method="POST"
url="http://flex.xx.xxx.xxx/lxxx/lxxxx.php"; useProxy="false"
result="auth_check()"/>

  <mx:HTTPService id="lookup" url="http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/lxxx/lxxxx.php";
  fault="faultHandler(event.fault.faultstring, event.fault.faultcode)"
  result="popCustomerForm(lookup.result)"
  method="POST" showBusyCursor="true" useProxy="false" />

<mx:ViewStack id="customerinfostack" visible="true" selectedIndex="0"
width="884" height="559">
  <mx:Panel width="865" title="Login Information" id="loginpanel" >
   <mx:Button label="login" click="auth()"/>
</mx:Panel>

<mx:Panel title="Customer information" id="customerpanel" width="714"
height="581" verticalAlign="middle" horizontalAlign="center">
 ---This panel has form that needs to be populated
</mx:Panel>

</mx:ViewStack >
</mx:Application>