Grr, ok the plot sickens :)

Have just spoken with the guys and someone pointed out that native
drag-and-drop, custom context menus and similar OS-level integrations are
never going to be added to the Flash Player now that Adobe have AIR to put
those features into. I'm inclined to see their point, but I need to think up
a way around the one-click install showstopper.

Naive approach would be: use a native installer to automate download and
install of Adobe AIR (if not exists) and an AIR application without user
intervention. Has anyone tried this? Can it be done (legally/technically)?

Another alternative would be the Shu Player (http://www.shu-player.com).
This bundles the AIR runtime into a single standalone exe with your AIR app,
however distributing such applications contravenes the standard Adobe AIR
license (see http://www.shu-player.com/air-runtime-notice).

Has anyone had any luck negotiating a "case by case runtime distribution
agreement" with Adobe for bundling the AIR runtime with an AIR application?

Hope you guys can shed some light on this!

Cheers,
Jules