Setting lifeTimer to null shouldn't be necessary as lifeTimer is a private
variable of DrawingTool and will not be referenced somewhere else thus the
references between DrawingTool and lifeTimer are circular and the garbage
collector handles these cases correctly (during the "mark and sweep"
process).

To remove the control from its parent's display list, you should use:
this.parent.removeChild(this);

Another method could be to dispatch an event when the timer fires, listen
for it in the parent and remove the control in the event handler.

Yet another suggestion: You could also implement a DrawingToolsManager which
would create DrawingTool objects on demand, add them to a container and
remove them when a timer event fires.

Haykel Ben Jemia

Allmas
Web & RIA Development