Just wanted to pass on this bit of information as it may be very difficult to
find an answer for this on the web. Maybe it could help someone some day.

I was building an application that was using a Zoom flex effect when the
user would mouse over a UIComponent. It was working very well but I noticed
that it would become sluggish with time. The more the zoom effect was
activated, the slower it would become. I searched left and right for the
cause of this and I finally found the solution when I approached the problem
from a different angle. In my updateDisplayList function, I was drawing on
the canvas using some graphic methods. Basically, I was just drawing a
circle using the lineStyle(), beginFill() and drawCircle() methods. Nothing
new here. However, I also realized that I was not clearing up the canvas
using the clear() method before drawing. This was the problem! I suppose
that the flash plugin stores all drawing commands in a buffer and executes
them when it renders the scene. By not clearing the canvas first, I was
adding more drawing commands with each call to updateDisplayList ... and
with a tween, updateDisplayList is called many times!

Therefore, if you ever notice that your effects are slowing down with time,
make sure that you called graphics.clear() before drawing on the
UIComponent.%-|