To be honest, I'm not sure why it's using the default Flex styles at the
beginning.  What I do know is that when I set up my component's default
style in the manner I posted, it works.  The answer to your question lies in
the underbelly of the Flex architecture and how/when it applies styles;
there are probably other people on here that are much more qualified to
explain.

Good luck!

Aaron