I have a colleague that is of the opinion that SQL statements in Java Code
such as DAO classes is bad practice, that the SQL statements and parameter
tokens be externalized into Contants or property files.  I maintain that is
not only not necessary in general but given our loosely coupled service
oriented architecture the classes are largely not in any sort of complex
dependency so modifying code doesn't have the ripples of monolithic desktop
or client server applications.

So while it is true you can change the SQL statement if needed without
changing the code and even change syntax if you need to change databases,
how often does that happen anyway?  And how often do you change the SQL
without having to change the classes?

I look at DAO classes from Adobe Labs and Sun Microsystems and see SQL
statements in the code so I figure if it is good enough for them it is good
enough for us.

What say you all?