That's it exactly.  Basically, we have a number of situations where we need
to add pop-up details to elements in our application, so I thought I'm
trying to make reusable non-visual component that orchestrates that, like
this:

<mx:Whatever id="summary"/>

<mx:Canvas id="myPopUp">
  <mx:Label text="All sorts of useful information"/>
</mx:Canvas>

*<my:PopUpDetail
    target="{summary}"
    popUp="{myPopUp}"
    popUpOnRollover="true"
    popUpOnFocus="true" />*

So I've dug around in PopUpButton to see how it manages its pop-up, and that
looks simple enough.  But PopUpButton uses the existence of popUp.parent to
determine whether it is managing the pop up yet (no parent, and it assumes
that it isn't) - so it seemed that, along with my not knowing about
includeInLayout="false", creating the popup control in some sort of
parentless way was important.

Michael