I fixed the run time error by writing a function to pass the two text
box variables back to the data provider.  (ItemEditEnd="func(event);")
Fixed it.  So now I can tab into the List's first component but once
focus is on the first renderer I can only tab and shift between the
two boxes in the first renderer.  It's like the focus is stuck there.
Any ideas.

Here is the code I added for the ItemEditEnd function.  Not sure if
that messes up tabbing and focus.

---
public function endEditRenderer(event:ListEvent):void {
event.preventDefault();

list.editedItemRenderer.data.first=
Renderer(event.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance).firstName.text);

list.editedItemRenderer.data.last=
Renderer(event.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance).lastName.text;

    list.destroyItemEditor();

    list.dataProvider.itemUpdated(list.editedItemRenderer);