We have had success in onBeforeUnload, make the final request, and
then in onUnload, create a 500ms loop in JS which gives the networking
layer enough time to put the request on the wire before the flash is
torn down.

This was for a logout call, and it worked pretty well except in Safari
(it might work on safari now, I am not sure). Since it was only a
logout call and we had a timeout after 30 seconds anyway, it was not a
huge issue if it was not 100% successful. But in practice it works
pretty well.

It's one of those crazy ideas that you just do if you absolutely need
to. I think gmail might do the same thing for gchat; if you close a
gmail window you will notice a slight delay. I haven't looked at their
code though so I don't know for sure.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "wkolcz" <wko...@...> wrote:

> Pretty much what I asked in the subject line. I need Flash to submit
to a database before the window closes and the flash instance dies.

> Don't think that a pop up (alert) is an option for our sites.
>
> Using JS and ExternalInterface to communicate with flash (AS) to
push to a HTTPRequest data to insert.