But doing some pretty simple calculations based on data type is easy. For
example, if you know a field is a date and you want to display the full date
and time string, you know how wide that needs to be. Or if a field is a
phone number, etc. Unknown strings present problems, but maybe just some
simple stuff would be better than nothing at all?

Doug