I had the same problem and I ended with the following solution:
Add an event listener on your collection like this:
groups.addEventListener(CollectionEvent.COLLECTION_CHANGE,
onDataChanged);
In the onDataChanged function, look if the 'kind' property of the
event is CollectionEventKind.UPDATE.
Then you can find the id with something like that:
if (ev.items.length > 0)
{
        var pce:PropertyChangeEvent = ev.items[0] as
PropertyChangeEvent;
        var id:Number = pce.currentTarget.id;
}

Hope it helps,
Benjamin.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Besite - Bart <b...@...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my Data Management Service I create a new User-object using the
> createItem() function :
>
>  ds.createItem(new User("Jeff"));
> var token:AsyncToken = ds.commit();
>  token.kind = "create";
>
> When the commit is sent, the new User is persisted to the server...
In