It's essentially/simply used for your folder structure and then used to
import in your various classes.

So inside your src folder if you had a folder structure of
src->com->mywebname -> view, then any classes inside the folder 'view'
would have a package name of com.mywebname.view and the import would be
com.mywebname.view.*; or com.mywebname.view.myClassName;

If your using flexbuilder it names the package for you.  If you create a
new AS file inside a particular folder flexbuilder will give the package
name the same folder location. Should you move an AS file from one
folder to another you will need to rename the package.

For more detail check out

http://www.foundation-flash.com/tutorials/packages/

and

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhe
lp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000041.html

Kenneth.