Rick Bullotta wrote:

>I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Flex client based on the Java
>plug-in someday.  When looking at the Flex class models, it has a lot of
>similarities to Java rich client stuff - so who knows - maybe the Flash viewer
>someday becomes classes deployed on a JVM!

I'd actually be *very* surprised to see this.  There was a Flash Player
written in Java a long time ago that supported swf version 2.  It was
horrendously slow, and therefore abandoned.  Granted Java has made some
performance improvements since then, but how does moving from the Flash
Player to the JVM help at all?

Flash is already available on a ton of devices, and Java's "write once
run anywhere" mantra didn't pan out as much as Sun wanted it to
especially in the mobile space.  Flash is more portable in it's current
codebase then it would be as a Java application, and it also runs faster
as native code anyway.  I don't see any reason why MM would want to
invest the time in a Flash Player that runs on top of the JVM since it
doesn't buy them performance or portability, but rather just a new
series of headaches.

-d

 low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help
bridge the Digital Divide!</a>.</font>