Well I tried refernecing it that way, but no go.

The other thing is that you are not allowed to put an id on  the root
tag of a component. Ends up with this error:

id attribute is not allowed on the root tag of a component.

So I am not sure how you would be able to reference the child of the
<mx:component> tag.

You can set an id on the <mx:component> tag itself.. .and i was hoping
to reference it that way, but that gives me a :

: Call to a possibly undefined method goToDownload through a reference
with static type mx.core:ClassFactory

I had mentioned that in one of my other responses.