From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Darron J. Schall
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:19 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Input formatting

James wrote:

> Hello All
>

> Anybody figure out to to-do input formatting:
>

> Exam: I want to save a phone number as 9991234567
>
> But I want it to appear on input: (999) 123-4567
>

> Any help would be appreciated

http://www.darronschall.com/downloads/fti.swf

This component will be available as part of the IFBIN service.  I've
built a FormattedTextInput component (for both Flash and Flex) that
allows you to specify a format mask, and it will restrict the user's
input so that it matches the mask.

Valid format 'input placeholder' characters:
    # - any digit  (0-9)
     a - lowercase letter
    A - uppercase letter
    Z - any letter
    * - any letter or digit

Example usage:
    my_ti.format = "(###) ### - ####";

    Then, to get the value of out it, use:  my_ti.value   - that will
return just the input that matches the input placeholders, ie in the
scernario about, .value will just be 10 digits (with formatting removed).

    If you set the .text property of the component, it will
automatically format it as well:

    my_ti.text = "5559991111";  // will display according to the format

If you want this as a Flex component, you'll have to wait until Flex by
Example ships.  The Flash component was part of my talk on Extending
Components at Flash in the Can in april.  You can also either find my
Flash source and tweak it to work with Flex, or hope someone else builds
it for you..  but these are the types of high-quality examples and
useful code snippets that you'll see in Flex by Example.  ;-)

-d

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hnqti2h/M=362131.6882499.7825260.1510227/D=groups/S=1705007207:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123032250/A=2889191/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life
- brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>