From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcod...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Mike Oliver
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:26 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Server Side Cache and AMF

What are the pros and cons to using a serverside cache or proxy cache with
Flex and AMF?

I can see a cache on a web service that is primarily a lookup service, but
don't see much if any benefit to a cache related to transactions, and for
lookup, except for really large data sets I think a client side actionscript
object will be every bit as effective, and for really large data sets you
don't want to fetch more than you need anyway so a cache won't do much there
either.

I think server side cache is best for pages of information like HTML pages,
XML documents, JSP pages where the content is keyed in the cache by the URL
for the GET, and anything else is a waste of effort or worse due to stale
data in the cache.

But what do I know? If I knew everything I wouldn't ask.