Ack, I've just this minute come up on the same thing. This is annoying as
hell, I've used maxwidth all over the place without noticing it wasn't
working until now. What I want is to have my text centered if it's narrow,
and left justified (+ wrapped of course) if it exceeds maxWidth.

I need this, so I've created a bug:

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-19111

I should have it fixed in a short while, and you can monkey-patch my changes
or extend Text to do it, email me off-list if you want me to send you the
fix so you can monkey-patch it in.

-Josh

--
"Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

Josh 'G-Funk' McDonald
  -  j...@joshmcdonald.info
  -  http://twitter.com/sophistifunk
  -  http://flex.joshmcdonald.info/