The "ColdFusion is Dead" argument has come up somewhere every 6 months for the past 8 years.

I perceive, from Adobe's stand point that CF is a stable product showing consistent growth. CF was designed for web development and that is something that it does wonderfully well. But, that makes it a niche product when compared to .NET or Java which are the end all to any programming need.

To give a few indications of the market:

1) There are CFML alternatives to Adobe's ColdFusion, including open source ones. Check out Open BlueDragon, Railo, (both Java based like CF), or BlueDragon.NET (runs on .NET ). Obviously someone must think there is a market. WebORB also has a ColdFusion specific version. 2) After Allaire was acquired by Macromedia; the number of developers was estimated at 350K. Today it is estimated at ~500K. ( http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/pdfs/adobecoldfusionevangelismkit.pdf ) . Even if the number of Flex Developer's grow 100%, there will still be less Flex Developer's than CF Developers. OF course Flex and CF are treated differently because Flex is viewed as a growth market, while CF is stable / mature. And dollar for dollar, you get a lot of stuff built in to CF that would be add-ons to other platforms.

Paul Andrews wrote:
One thing really does concern me though about CF - how is it faring in the marketplace? In some quarters you'd imagine it was a dead technology from the way it is talked about and there always seems to be a disparity between it's functionality and takeup.

Adopting a core serverver-side laguage is not easy - the market seems pretty fragmented.

Paul

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "bsyyu" <ben.s...@...> wrote:
currently, I am using PHP as server language. In fact I would like to
learn other server language in combination using Flex. Any suggestion
such as .NET, coldfusion or JSP.

Alternative FAQ location:
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=942dbdc8-e469-446f-b4cf-1e62079f6847
Groups Links