Alex:

Thanks for the reply. What I am doing is not quite an inline
component. I have 1 component in my mxml file that is referenced by
3 different datagrids like this;

<mx:Component id="cbHoldRelease">
<mx:HBox textAlign="center">

<mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
                private function doHoldRelease(data:Object):void
                {
                        trace('What datagrid called me?');
                }

        ]]>
</mx:Script>
        <inp:ValidatedCheckBox checkedValue="R" uncheckedValue="H"
click="doHoldRelease(data);"/>
</mx:HBox>
</mx:Component>

<mx:DataGrid width="887" height="20" id="dg1" y="28" x="5>
        <mx:columns>
        <mx:DataGridColumn width="27" headerText="Rel"
            itemRenderer="{cbHoldRelease}"
            rendererIsEditor="true"
            editorDataField="selected" paddingLeft="1"/>
        </mx:columns>

</mx:DataGrid>

<mx:DataGrid width="887" height="20" id="dg2" y="48" x="5">
        <mx:columns>
        <mx:DataGridColumn width="27" headerText="Rel"
            itemRenderer="{cbHoldRelease}"
            rendererIsEditor="true"
            editorDataField="selected" paddingLeft="1"/>
        </mx:columns>

</mx:DataGrid>

<mx:DataGrid width="887" height="20" id="dg3" y="68" x="5">
        <mx:columns>
        <mx:DataGridColumn width="27" headerText="Rel"
            itemRenderer="{cbHoldRelease}"
            rendererIsEditor="true"
            editorDataField="selected" paddingLeft="1"/>
        </mx:columns>

</mx:DataGrid>

The trace statement needs to display dg1, dg2, dg3 depending on
where the user was when they clicked the button. Actually I need to
pass the dg(1,2,3).dataprovider, and the the selectedIndex.

BTW ValidatedCheckBox is a data aware checkbox component we wrote.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Alex Harui <aha...@...> wrote:

> <mx:DataGrid id="dg"
>                 <mx:columns>
>                                 <mx:DataGridColumn>