Both XMLList and XMLListCollection can be accessed by index.

Tracy

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Libby
Sent: Tue 2/24/2009 10:07 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: XML Parsing - maintaining a record pointer

well, this is a sequential file, output from a mainframe and basically
I need to start at the top and work my way to the bottom, with
frequent "look-aheads". I have been trying hard to use e4x but so far
have not been successful with getting it to work. apparently there is
something about the syntax I am not "getting". That cursor idea
another poster mentioned sounds intriguing...

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"Tracy Spratt" <tspr...@...> wrote:

> I would suggest that you do not think in terms of "reading the file".
> Rather, use e4x to find the node you want to process, then go from
> there.
>

> OTOH, it is acceptable to manipulate an XMLList, especially if your data
> is a single level.
>

> Tracy Spratt
> Lariat Services
>
> Flex development bandwidth available