this seems like it should be easy but....

I have a DataGrid with 3000+ rows - an XML object is the dataprovider.
 Need to show a row index both on the initial display and after
various filters the user can run (by state name, county name, etc.)  I
always want the row index to start at "1" i.e. show the number of rows
in the grid.

I'm seeing some blog posts where the dataprovider is an
ArrayCollection and then the labelFunction can return
arrayname.indexOf(item) but this doesn't apply for me.

Do I have to go with an ItemRenderer just to use listData.rowIndex()?
 Is there something easier I'm missing?

thanks....