That's slightly different, in that case the app *is* installed.
As far as I know, the AIR runtime and the app* must be installed on the
local system, as opposed to a totally "standalone" application.
The shu player used to temporarily install both to the users temp
directory and run them from there,
but something about something about their initial system conflicted with
the adobe licence agreement.
I gather they've resolved that with their latest version, but I've not
tried the latest one to see what it does now.

*
> Can I zip the directory of an installed air app and distribute it to
> users for them to decompress and run without having to install?

Actually I did get that to "sort of work" (if the user already had the
air runtime installed) on windows a long time ago, not sure whether it
would now.
However, although the app ran, various things were rather broken, like
applicationStorage Directory and similar (from memory, I could be
wrong).
Which is kind of what I would expect, on reflection. I wouldn't rely on
doing that, myself.