Yes, that's what Amy's example does, and since I do control both apps, it
seems that's probably the way to go.

Nevertheless, I am curious, because
a) there must be many apps one would like to embed that do something at
startup that depends on a flashVar
b) the literature on sub apps vs modules says that modules are used when
there is shared code (though a single interface is not much shared code)
c) Tracy said the StackOverflow technique worked for him

So let me pose a question. If one does have such an application and it can't
be modified, is it possible to write a host application that will allow it
to load?