I'm not sure what the use case is, but I was faced with a similar issues
recently...but with Flex, and ended up using Sribd.
The service allows you to upload most doc types, not just word docs, and takes
care of the your storage needs. Docs can be set to private if desired, so the
public cant view it. Once in scribd, you can download the original doc again,
retrieve a 'firt page' icon, and read the doc using their iPaper 'viewer', this
would be easy in AIR using the HTML component.
There's an actionscript API available(not great but the source is available, so
you can extend), check out the developers page at scribd.com.

Good luck