I have a vo headlineVO that has the following variables
headline_id:Number
headline:String
effdate:Date
endeffdate:Date
actionuser:String
actiondate:Date
I have a cfc that returns an ArrayCollection of beans, each bean has
the above variables too.
I can populate a datagrid with this data and it shows fine.
I'm trying to populate a new vo (currentVO) when the user selects a
row and hits "edit".
The new VO shows as being null in the debugger.
This is what my code looks like

<mx:DataGrid id="headlinesDG"
dataProvider="{MyModel.getInstance().adminARCHeadlines}"
click="selectedHeadline" ...
</mx:DataGrid>

above I have a function
private function selectedHeadline():void {
currentVO = headlinesDG.selectedItem as headlineVO;
}

and for the editButton.click I have another function that just Alert
the currentVO.headline;

I get a null object reference when I click on the edit Button.
If I put a breakpoint above the Alert I can see that currentVO is
null, how can I assign that selected row to my vo?
Can anyone offer suggestions or things I should check?

Thanks in advance!