Yes, you need admin rights for both installing the runtime and the apps.

You can just deploy the installed files I think, but you lose the
uninstall functionality, and possibly the updating functionality. The
former isn't that important to you anyway if your desktops are
managed.

Haven't tried deploying AIR apps in such an environment, but may
possibly be doing so in the next few months, so I'll be interested to
see how you deal with it.