In the previous implementation, I would send an ArrayList of custom Objects
containing two values each, variables called point1 (an Object) and point2 (a
float).  So for each series, I'd assign this ArrayList (converted into an
ArrayCollection by blazeDS) as the dataProvider for the series and xField =
point1 and yField = point2.

Obviously if I had many series on the same axis, the xField data would be
duplicated for each series (very redundant, I realize).  In the new
implementation, I'd like to just have all the xFields point to a single array
of dates for example and then each yfield would point to a different array.
But since I can't create an Object in Java on the fly with variables called
"point1", "point2", "point3", etc, I'm at a loss as how to get flex to
recognize where my data is when I assign the dataProvider.

I hope that makes more sense.