Wesley is correct, you'll need a middle tier technology to facilitate the
communication between Flex and a backend database (ie. ColdFusion, Java,
PHP, etc...).  You would use RemoteObject, HTTPService, WebService classes
to hook up from Flex to whichever middle tier option you use.  Then you'd
use whatever ODBC, etc... options you have within the middle tier to talk to
the database.

Brendan