You need to create a remoteobject in Flex.

I use ColdFusion for my backend but it should be similar.  I'm also not
sure if you're using amfphp or not but this is the basis to work from:

<mx:Script>

private function accessRemote():void

{

  phpService.remotePHPFunctionName( variable1, variable2, variable3 );

<mx:Remoteobject id="phpService"  destination="amfphp"/>

    <mx:Method name="remotePHPFunctionName"
result="functionResultHandler(event)" fault="faultResultHandler(event)"
/>

</mx:Remoteobject>

<mx:Button label="Remote Object" id="btnRemote" click="accessRemote()"
/>